It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does JRS Export to Excel not look the same as online view?

Jimmy Pearson (131) | asked Dec 15 '20, 11:09 a.m.

I have a report with the normal non repeating entries. When I export the report to Excel, it shows all of the entries  and I have to create a pivot table to make it look like the online view. Is there a way to export the data from my JRS report to appear the same as the online view? I am reporting against my RDNG tables but this behavior is associated with the JRS export to Excel vs the source of the data for my JRS report.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.4k217) | answered Dec 16 '20, 5:16 p.m.
The Report Builder report view UI consolidates any cells that repeat if you apply a sort.

This is in the UI itself - the underlying query still has all the data and this is what gets exported in Excel, as merged cells in Excel mess up the integrity of the rows and you would then have all sort of problems with data filters, sorting etc.

There are quite a few VBA macros out there that will merge repeated cells in the columns of a spreadsheet - have a Google around and you'll find one that works for you and recreates the same appearance as the Report Builder report.

Just remember to save the original spreadsheet in case you need the data to be in one piece again
Jimmy Pearson selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.